Friday, November 21, 2008

Classic Nickelodeon Bumper Commercials

This is totally off-topic for this blog. Or is it? In the days when I was growing up, Nickelodeon was possibly the most-watched TV channel in my household. When I found this collection of old Station ID bumpers from the early 1990's, I was amazed at how many of them were still ingrained in my mind. It's no wonder that "Looney Tunes On Nickelodeon" was so successful...because it's clear that the people behind these clever ads were well versed in their classic animation. You will see the influence immediately in several of these, most notably the "Picnic Ants" sketch at the 1-minute mark on this video, and the "chicken house" bit at the 1:20 mark that's undeniably influenced by the classics of Bob Clampett.



But that's not all! Nick also had other creative, wonderful stuff. For example, these two absolutely wonderful independent shorts, (Two of many they used to run between programs!)





And just to keep it on the subject: We've posted it before, and we'll post it again! The wonderful "Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon" opening from the same era.



Turn on Nickelodeon now, and I dare you to find anything as good as all this stuff. Hell, I dare you to stomach the channel for 15 minutes. Ditto Disney Channel or Cartoon Network. This isn't just nostalgia talking, it's fact: cable tv, especially in the "kids" market, has taken a real downturn since then. Whut Hoppen?

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Some of those cartoons in those ads look like Keith haring's work.

Anonymous said...

"Turn on Nickelodeon now, and I dare you to find anything as good as all this stuff. Hell, I dare you to stomach the channel for 15 minutes. Ditto Disney Channel or Cartoon Network. This isn't just nostalgia talking, it's fact: cable tv, especially in the "kids" market, has taken a real downturn since then. Whut Hoppen?"

Amen dude...amen.

James Sugrue said...

I totally agree with you. The truth, I just assumed "Oh I'm all grown up, so of course I'm not going to find any new cartoons today as appealing as the ones I saw as a kid" (Looney Tunes, Ren and Stimpy, Darkwing Duck). But when I went to visit LA, I had a nice little sit down with animation union member Steve Hulett. He told me today's cartoons on tv are not doing bad, but the same time, not doing great. Steve informed me that there has not been a breakout hit in cartoons since "Sponge bob". So it's not us! It IS the cartoons themselves! But I'm optimistic. Maybe someone will turn the tide and show classics again as well as make an appealing cartoon for today. You gotta have hope!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...