Sunday, November 9, 2008

Just because it has Sylvester on it...doesn't make it good!

We haven't done a Looney Tunes merchandise post in a while, so I dug into my box-o-random stuff and found an item that brought back horrible memories. That's rare, because Looney Tunes stuff almost always brings me happy memories. Not this time!

In the late '90's, the Looney Tunes characters were everywhere. Before Warner Bros' recent decision to become health-conscious and only license their characters to healthy foods for kids at Safeway affiliate grocery stores, the Looney Tunes adorned dozens of candy and junk-food items. One such item was one of the worst things I have ever eaten. It was awful. Tasted terrible, even DIGESTED terrible, and I will not elaborate any further on its trip through my digestive system, in the interest of decency!

I saw this at a grocery store in Fort Worth, Texas when I was in high school. For the record, the store is now a CVS pharmacy, probably because its constant battle with cricket infestation, weevils in the cereal aisle and the dead rat someone found behind the chip-and-cheeto shelf in its final days lost them half their customers.

Anyway, a large gummi candy shaped like Sylvester seemed like a good idea at the time. Never mind that it was produced by the "American Candy Company" yet made in Spain. Never mind that when you're 15 years old, the last thing you read on a candy package is the list of ingredients. And it was cheap too.

Needless to say, I have never seen a product like it since. Thank God!



2 comments:

Jon Cooke said...

I wonder what "American" Candy's "other exciting Looney Tunes products" were? :-P

James E. Daniels said...

I picked up one of those from a dollar store!
I thought the candy had gone stale, but I proceeded to finish it. It tasted like dry fruit punch, and left an after-taste.
Been keeping an eye out for a Tweety Pie ever since...;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...