Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Golden Collection, Vol. 6



An early list of contents for the sixth (and final) DVD set in the Looney Tunes Golden Collection series has been posted, along with the cover art, over on TV Shows On DVD. It will be released October 21. There will also be 15 "bonus" cartoons that have not been announced yet.

I am not sure what to think of those contents... a very bizarre assortment of oddities and VERY stingy on the star characters (only TWO Bugs Bunny cartoons!!!? What...?).

UPDATE --- Well, after having the day to chew things over I thought I'd update this original post. My first reaction to the contents was, of course, "Where the heck are all the characters?". Stepping back, I figure I will appreciate what we ARE getting. After all, the character cartoons (Bugs, Daffy, Tweety, Foggy, Road Runner, etc) are too famous to remain unreleased forever. Besides, a bulk of the material on Volume 6 has never been made officially available before, let alone restored. That's worth cheering about.

I hope we will find out what the 15 "bonus" cartoons are soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its too bad that Volume 6 will be the last Golden Collection. I hope that WHV will continue to release the rest of the Looney Tunes shorts under a new name by 2009 and beyond.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this one, especially Disc 3. I've always wanted to study the Bosko and Buddy cartoons at length, and it's good to see them finally get represented on a Golden Collection after five years of just sneaking around in the special features. I'm also eagerly anticipating Disc 2's collection of wartime shorts - if "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs" is going to be among the 15 bonus cartoons, it seems like this would be the disc to put it on.

S.L said...

Don't worry, this won't be the last volume! Jerry Beck, from J.E. Daniels' blog, said " "Calm down everyone! It is NOT the last Looney Tunes DVD release from Warner Home Video. In fact, we have huge plans for 2009 (and beyond) Looney Tunes DVD releases. I'm not allowed to say any more at this time. I wish I could. Rest assured, a lot of good stuff is planned beyond this."

bobblog said...

This seems to be the most interesting selection of the whole lot - especially disc 4!


Plus there's a lot I haven't seen as such.

Probably there will be more character based boxsets in the future - after all pepe le pew and foghorn leghorn haven't received any decent attention yet.

Duck Dodgers said...

"After all, the character cartoons (Bugs, Daffy, Tweety, Foggy, Road Runner, etc) are too famous to remain unreleased forever. Besides, a bulk of the material on Volume 6 has never been made officially available before, let alone restored. That's worth cheering about."


I think the same but my reaction is more negative. Will future sets include many b/w titles? If not, we'll lose many of Porkya dn Daffy classics, that's why I would have wanted a black and white disc to be devoted to them.

Jon Cooke said...

Well, I am going to try to stay optimistic and wait and see what happens next year.

But even in B&W, I think Porky and Daffy are popular enough to get those cartoons out there at some point.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...